West LinnThe city of hills, trees, and rivers - breathtaking views, family life, parks and natural beauty ... 12 miles south of Portland.
West Linn Neighborhood Guide
The Neighborhoods of West Linn
West Linn, Oregon–known as the “city of hills, trees, and rivers”–is all about natural beauty, breathtaking views, family life, and PARKS. West Linn has top-notch schools and active neighborhood associations. In fact, it’s one of the 100 Best Cities to Live in the nation.
Just 12 miles south of downtown Portland, the 11 neighborhoods of West Linn enjoy easy access to the amenities of the larger metropolitan area, while retaining their small town charm.
West Linn was settled in the early 1840’s. As a result there is a large diversity of home styles ranging from vintage Victorians in the Willamette and Bolton neighborhoods to Northwest Comtemporary developements on Tanner Ridge and Savana Oaks.
The neighborhoods of Bolton, Sunset, Robinwood, and Willamette front the Willamette River. In these older neighborhoods you’ll find a variety of home styles ranging from vintage victorians, quaint bungalows and mid century moderns to new construction in-fill. Along the river, these neighborhoods feel like waterfront vacation communities–laid-back, tranquil, and tousled. Mature trees and charming gardens are prevalent. We love these neighborhoods with their unpretentious style and sense of history and place. If you’re into shabby-chic and want the tranquility of the country, you may find the perfect, charming home in West Linn’s historic neighborhoods.
The newer neighborhoods are Barrington Heights-Hidden Creek-Tanner Creek (popularly known as BHT), Hidden Springs, Marylhurst, Parker Crest, Rosemont Summit, Savanna Oaks, and Skyline Ridge. Homes in these neighborhoods often have spectacular views of the Willamette River, Pete’s Mountain, or Mount Hood. Here you find tree-line streets with sidewalks, spacious homes, and easy access to dozens of neighborhood parks.
Flanked by the Willamette and Tualatin Rivers, West Linn attracts fishing and boating enthusiasts of all types. The Cedaroak Boat Ramp Park offers access to the river, wildlife viewing, fishing, and hiking trails. Smaller Bernert Landing Boat Ramp in Willamette Park offers similar access at the junction between the Willamette and Tualatin Rivers. For land lovers, the new West Linn Fishing Dock gives bank fishermen access to the bounty of the river and its seasonal runs of Chinook, white sturgeon, steelhead, and Coho salmon.
Within West Linn’s seven square miles, there are over 600 acres of park land, ranging from active parks with sports, picnic, play, spray, and skate facilities to more passive parks for walking, biking, and communing with nature. Plus, there are 18 miles of trails through parks and opens spaces, and seven miles of trails along easements, city property, residential linkages and unimproved public right of ways. It’s an outdoor playland for all ages and activity levels, and it’s FREE.
Mary S. Young State Park is a favorite of birders, with numerous walking trails and river views. There are also sports fields, a shelter, and an unleashed dog area, as well as a walking bridge to Cedar Island.
The Camassia Natural Area, owned by the Nature Conservancy, has more than 300 plant species in the preserve, including the common camas. Camas, formerly used as a food source by Pacific Northwest Native Americans, has beautiful blue blooms in April and early May. Birders can find the wood duck, western bluebird, and California quail, as well as other well-known bird species in the natural area.
Curious about homes for sale? Visit: Homes for Sale in West Linn, OR.
West Linn Neighborhood Guides
West Linn Facts, Stats, and Links
- County: Clackamas
- Zip Code: 97068
- Location: 12 miles south of Downtown Portland
- Population: 27,373
- Median Age: 45
- Median Household Income: $119,415
- Bachelor’s Degree: 62%
- Graduate Degree: 15%
- Parks & Open Spaces: 600 acres
- Walkability Score: 29 (all those hills)
- Average Commute Time: 25 minutes
- Minutes by Car to Downtown Portland: 26 minutes
City of West Linn
Calendar of Events
- Maps: City of West Linn
- Maps: West Linn Neighborhood Associations
- Maps: West Linn Interactive
- Maps: West Linn City Parks
- Maps: West Linn Bike Routes
- Maps: West Linn Walking Paths & Trails
West Linn In the News
- CNN Money: Best Places to Live (#69)
- Sperling’s Best Places: West Linn
- Sperling’s Rankings for West Linn, Oregon
- Movoto: Ten Best Cities to Live in Oregon (#8)
- Fox 12: West Linn, Lake Oswego Make List of Safest Cities
- World City Information: West Linn Makes National Listing of Best Places to Live
- Neighborhood Scout: Top 100 Safest Cities in the U.S. (#31)
- AreaVibes: Top 100 Cities in Oregon (#21)
- City of West Linn Historic Context Statement: Willamette and Holly Grove Neighborhoods
- City of West Linn: History
- Information About Time Capsule Hidden at the Library
- The Last Days of Linn City
- West Linn Centennial
- Willamette Meteorite History
Homes for Sale in West Linn
- Neighborhood Associations Map
- Barrington Heights-Hidden Creek-Tanner Creek (BHT) Neighborhood Map
- Bolton Neighborhood Map
- Hidden Springs Neighborhood Map
- Parker Crest Neighborhood Map
- Marylhurst Neighborhood Map
- Robinwood Neighborhood Map
- Rosemont Summit Neighborhood Map
- Savanna Oaks Neighborhood Map
- Skyline Ridge Neighborhood Map
- Sunset Neighborhood Map
- Willamette Neighborhood Map
Restaurants | Coffee Shops | Bakeries
The Portland suburbs are not often noted for their mind-blowing food, and West Linn is no exception. Up-and-coming chefs tend to hone their mettle and build their reputations in Portland restaurants. However, we like to eat when we’re in West Linn, and here are some of our favorites: Bugatti’s Ristorante, Allium Bistro, Thai Orchid, Thai Lemon, Linn City Pub, and Willamette Coffee House.
West Linn is home to numerous shopping centers, so everyday necessities and services are close at hand.
- Cascade Summit Professional BLDG (22400 Salamo Rd)
- River Falls Shopping Center (1865 Blankenship Rd)
- Robinwood Shopping Center (19149 Willamette Dr)
- West Linn Central Village (21900 Willamette Dr)
- For upscale shopping, Washington Square in Southwest Portland and Bridgeport Village in Tigard are also nearby. You’ll also enjoy gracious Lakeview Village nestled against Millennium Plaza Park in downtown Lake Oswego.
- Market of Choice (5639 Hood St, West Linn)
- Safeway (22000 Salamo Rd, West Linn)
- Walmart (19133 Willamette Dr, West Linn)
And you’ll find these popular, upscale markets in nearby Lake Oswego:
- Zupan’s Markets (Lake Grove:16380 Boones Ferry, Lake Oswego)
- New Seasons (Mountain Park:3 Monroe Parkway, Lake Oswego)
- West Linn-Wilsonville School District
- West Linn High School (Grades 9-12)
- District Post High School (Grades 11-12)
- Rosemont Ridge Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- Willamette Primary School (Grades K-5)
- Stafford Primary School (Grades K-5)
- Athey Creek Middle School (Grades 6-8)
- Cedaroak Park Primary School (Grades P-5)
- Sunset Primary School (Grades K-5)
- Bolton Primary School (Grades P-5)
- Three Rivers Charter School (Grades 4-8)
Parks | Recreation
- West Linn Parks & Recreation
- West Linn Parks & Recreation: Parks & Trails
- West Linn Parks & Recreation: Spray Parks
- West Linn Parks & Recreation: Skate Park
- Sandelie Golf Course, West Course
- Sandelie Golf Course, East Course
- Mary S. Young State Park Loop Hike
- Wilderness Park Loop Hike
- Camassia Natural Area Loop Hike
- West Linn Skate Park
- Willamette Water Trail
- Bike There! Portland Metro Area Bike Map
- Bike It! Clackamas County Area Bike Map
- City of Portland Transportation Bike Maps
- City of Lake Oswego Bike Routes
- City of Oregon City Walk/Bike Map!
Hiking | Running | Walking
- Portland Hikers
- Oregon Road Runners Club
- Portland Walking Groups
- Portland Walking Routes
- Metro Walk There
- Historic Bolton Neighborhood Walking Tour
- Historic Willamette Neighborhood Walking Tour
- West Linn Women Who Walk