This scenic 4-mile walking Portland loop features the SE Sellwood-Westmoreland neighborhood and one of the city’s most beguiling, expansive nature preserves.
Check out our Guide to Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge.
Interactive Route Map
Check out our interactive route map of Oaks Bottom and the Sellwood-Westmoreland ridge overlooking the refuge.
Sellwood Boulevard-Oaks Bottom Walking Loop
Join Women Who Walk for a guided tour of this remarkable nature refuge.
Heading Out Route
- At SE Milwaukie Ave. & SE Claybourne St. | Head West
- SE 14th | Left
- SE 19th | Right
- SE Sellwood Blvd. | Right
- Sellwood Parking Lot | Oaks Bottom JEH Trailhead
- Oaks Bottom Bluff Trail | Right
Heading Back Route
- North Parking Lot & Se Milwaukie Ave. | Right
- SE Ellis St. | Right/West
- SE 15th Ave. | Left/South
- SE Knight St. | Right/West
- SE 14th Ave. | Left/South
- SE Martins St. | Right/West
- SE 13th Ave. | Left/South
- SE Carlton St. | Left/East
- SE 14th Ave. | Right/South
- SE Bybee Blvd. | Left/East
About 4 miles for the complete loop.
Allow 2 hours to walk the basic route, longer to explore a few of the side paths, linger in the wonders of the wetlands, and enjoy the panoramic views above the refuge.
Freshly graveled, barely graveled, and paved paths mingle within the wetlands, with sidewalks and dirt paths in the neighborhoods overlooking the preserve. In the wetlands, the trail is mostly flat, with quite a few short inclines and declines mixed in.
Fairly easy, but good walking/hiking shoes are a must as gravel is loose in some places.
Coffee & Lunch
The SkyBlue Portland team hosts monthly group walks through some of Portland Metro’s most beautiful and interesting neighborhoods.
For info on our Portland Walking Tours, check out our Women Who Walk Facebook page and sign up for a walk on our Women Who Walk Meetup page. Hope to see you soon! 🙂
Oaks Bottom Photo Gallery
Click on any photo below for slideshow view.
Copyright 2018 Susan S. Bradley. All rights reserved.