One of our favorite ways to explore Portland’s unique neighborhoods is to ditch the car and hit the sidewalk. We walk our favorite Portland neighborhoods in winter, spring, summer, and fall–reveling in the seasonal changes.
In late spring, residential blocks along NW Overton overflow with rhododendrons, roses, iris, foxglove, peonies, clematis, lavender, hypericum, perennial bachelor buttons, lilies, yarrow, and myriad decorative grasses.
But before you reach the residential blocks on this walk, you’ll meander alongside new condominium and apartment complexes and then through the Industrial District.
I’m intrigued by the offbeat photo opportunities along this walk.Paint and rocks are fair game for this woman’s camera.
But they can’t compete visually with this gorgeous, three-story, ivy-covered townhome complex.
With it’s elegant window gardens.
Or this colorful row of “painted lady” townhomes.
Plus block after block of beautifully restored historic homes and stunning gardens in every style.
Lavender and yarrow anyone?
WALKING NW OVERTON STREET
This walk traverses the Pearl District and Northwest District (Nob Hill) neighborhoods, which abut each other on the northwest side of Portland (Portland Neighborhood Association Map).This is an easy, nearly level, one-street walk that begins at The Fields Park in the Pearl District, proceeds to the base of the hill climb stairs where Overton dead ends, and then concludes back at The Fields Park.
- Start at NW 10th Ave & NW Overton St. (The Fields Park).
- Head west, walking on the left side of NW Overton St..
- When you get to NW 26th Avenue, cross the street and continue another
- block to Overton’s dead end at the hill climb steps.
- Return to The Fields Park along the same route, walking on the other side of Overton St.
- Reward yourself with House Brewed Moroccan Chai at Ovation Coffee & Tea.
To enable the Walking Portland slide show, click any photo in the gallery.
Walking Portland Posts
- Walking Portland: NW Overton Street
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Downtown Urban Loop (NW 9th-NW 10th)
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Northwest District Loop
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Northwest Hills Loop
Walking Portland Photo Galleries
- Walking Portland: NW Overton Street Photo Gallery
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Downtown Urban Loop (NW 9th-NW 10th) Photo Gallery
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Northwest District Loop Photo Gallery
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Northwest Hills Loop Photo Gallery
Homes for Sale in Northwest District
- To see all homes currently for sale in the Northwest District (Nob Hill), check out Homes for Sale Portland: Nob Hill.
Copyright 2017 Susan S. Bradley. All rights reserved.