If you love coffee like we do (wildly), you know that Portland, Oregon is Coffee Nirvana—a mind-blowing playground of meticulously sourced, mindfully roasted, small-batched, artisan coffee.
And Northeast Portland coffee shops are among the best in our fair city.
It’s no wonder that coffee cognoscenti, food writers and entrepreneurial seekers of the distinctive brew make regular pilgrimages to the City of Roses for insight and inspiration.
Or that Portland is a hotbed of barista superstars for whom coffee-crafting is part art, part religion, and part competitive sport.
Or that Portland has incubated three national coffee magazines (Fresh Cup Magazine, Barista Magazine, Roast Magazine), a coffee school (Barista Coffee School), coffee consultants (Catalyst Coffee Consulting), roaster-share programs (Mr. Green Beans, Aspect Coffee Collective ) a home roasting and brewing store (Mr. Green Beans), a highly-touted coffee gear inventor (Able Brewing), and a kickin’ coffee equipment store (Clive Coffee).
But in this hotbed of coffee euphoria, who can track all the new, let alone established coffee shops around town?
At last count, Portland has 65+ coffee roasters within the city limits.
And artisan coffee shops brewing locally roasted coffee number in the hundreds.
Our mission is to explore as many of these great shops as our nervous systems will support.
And we’ll start with the 30+ artisan coffee shops of Northeast Portland.
But first, bookmark our regularly updated Northeast Portland Coffee Map.
We organized it by Portland’s vibrant northeast neighborhoods (Alameda, Alberta, Beaumont-Wilshire, Boise, Concordia, Cully, Eliot, Grant Park, Hollywood, Humboldt, Irvington, Kerns*, King, Laurelhurst*, Montavilla*, North Tabor*, Rose City Park, Roseway, Sabin, Sumner, Sunderland, Vernon, Woodlawn)–to make it easier for you to sip your way through one neighborhood at a time.
*NOTE Kerns, Laurelhurst, North Tabor, and Montavilla, although north of East Burnside, with northeast addresses, are not officially designated as part of Portland’s Northeast neighborhood. Because of their addresses and proximity, we include them here anyway.
49 (and Counting) Northeast Portland Coffee Shops
Check out our ongoing list of Northeast Portland Coffee Shops By Neighborhood.
And our regularly updated Northeast Portland Coffee Map.
Portland Coffee in the News
- Relax at Portland’s Best Coffee Joints | Portland Mercury
- A Ton of Coffee Shops are Opening in Portland This Spring | Eater Portland
- Major Takeaways on Coffee Science from ASIC Portland | Daily Coffee News
- More from ASIC Portland on the Cutting Edge of Coffee Science | Daily Coffee News
- In 2018, Portland’s Oldest Family-Owned Coffee Company Left Town After 118 Years. Here’s How Former Employees—and Some Competitors—Will Remember Boyd’s. | Willamette Week
- Portland’s top coffee and tea houses 2018: The best places to do business | Portland Business Journal
- How Sterling Coffee Roasters Found the Heart of Portland Café Culture | Portland Monthly
- Portland’s 5 most innovative new coffee shops | The Oregonian
- After 22 Years, Portland Roasting Coffee Opens Flagship Cafe | Daily Coffee News
- A Place to Grow: Shared Production Facilities Ease Entry for New Roasters | Daily Coffee News
- Sisters Coffee Opens Wonderfully Reimagined Portland Cafe After a Fire | Daily Coffee News
- Upper Left Roasters Heads Downtown With Second Portland Location | Daily Coffee News
- Jory Coffee a New Source for Precision Pourovers in Portland | Daily Coffee News
Copyright 2016-2020 Susan S. Bradley. All rights reserved.