There’s no better way to fall in love with Portland than to grab a camera and walk its diverse neighborhoods. We do this often, traversing the city on foot and streetcar.
Several of our favorite walks start at nearby Tanner Springs Park (corner of NW Marshall Street and NW 11th Avenue). In early summer, white and pink water lilies grace the park’s tranquil eco pond.
At NW 22nd Ave. jog right and stroll reflectively through Legacy Good Samaritan’s Healing Garden. Take your time here; it’s one of the loveliest gardens in the city.
If you’re lucky, you’ll see this frisky fella.
On NW 23rd Ave. jog left and reconnect to NW Marshall St.
The landscape now turns to historic residential homes, tree-canopied streets, and lovely gardens.
In early summer, sprawling roses and peonies steal the show.
The hillclimb steps at NW 26th Avenue mark the turn-around.
Cross the street to the other side of NW Marshall St. and proceed back to Tanner Springs Park. (Or go ahead and climb the steps and have a look around.)
On your way back, you’ll pass the stunning Parish of St. Mark. Even though it’s often locked, you can peak into the garden sanctuary..
Don’t forget to look up ocassionally. Portland’s cloud spattered skies are world-class.
Before you end your walk at Tanner Springs Park, dash into Via Delizia and try their excellent gelato.
WALKING NW MARSHAL STREET
This 2.2-mile walk traverses the north end of the Pearl District and Northwest District (Nob Hill) neighborhoods, which nestle each other on the northwest side of Portland (Portland Neighborhood Association Map). This is an easy, nearly level, one-street walk that begins at the corner of Tanner Springs Park in the Pearl District, proceeds to the base of the hill climb stairs at NW 26th Avenue–where NW Marshall dead ends–and then proceeds back to Tanner Springs Park.
Directions (2.2 Miles)
- Start at NW 11th Ave & NW Marshall St. (Tanner Springs Park).
- Head west, walking on the left side of NW Marshall St.
- When you get to NW 26th Avenue at the hill climb steps, cross the street to the other side of Marshall St.
- Return to Tanner Springs Park along the same route.
- Along the way, take a break and reward yourself with a cappuccino at Sisters Coffee.
To enable the Walking Portland slide show, click any photo in the gallery.
Walking Portland Posts
- Walking Portland: NW Marshall Street
- Walking Portland: NW Overton Street
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Downtown Urban Loop (NW 9th-NW 10th)
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Northwest District Loop
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Northwest Hills Loop
Walking Portland Photo Galleries
- SkyBlue Portland Photo Gallery Archive
- Walking Portland: NW Marshall Street Photo Gallery
- Walking Portland: NW Overton Street Photo Gallery
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Downtown Urban Loop (NW 9th-NW 10th) Photo Gallery
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Northwest District Loop Photo Gallery
- Walking Portland: Pearl District-Northwest Hills Loop Photo Gallery
- Walking Portland: Pearl District | Alphabet District | Northwest District (5 Miles) Photo Gallery
Homes for Sale in Northwest District
- To see all homes currently for sale in the Pearl District, check out homes for Sale Portland: Pearl District.
- To see all homes currently for sale in the Northwest District (Nob Hill), check out Homes for Sale Portland: Nob Hill.
Copyright 2017 Susan S. Bradley. All rights reserved.